Friday, October 12, 2012

A night at The Philadelphia Orchestra

So yesterday was a super exciting day for me! I finally submitted two papers I'd been working on for the past week, met with a few people who gave me some clarity about my way forward and went to the orchestra!

So first things, first. My assignments. Nineteen pages of hardwork, all finally came together yesterday! One click of a button, and it seemed like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. Funny how that always happens with assignments - they're never really off your mind till you hand them in. And so I did! All I have to worry about now is how badly I did.

Yesterday was also the day our IEDP Proseminar class was taken by Dr. Elizabeth King, Director of Education and Human Development at The World Bank. Dr. King spoke about The World Bank's new 'learning' based approach, as opposed to the previously misunderstood 'education/enrollment' based approach. She also mentioned the new (and improved) focus on education for girls in the most rural of areas. And finally she mentioned the hiring process!

The best part in all of this was that I got to be one of the lucky few who was invited for an 'intimate but casual' lunch with her and Dr. Wagner. It was like christmas came early. No, not because of the food (even though we did go to the Inn @ Penn!) No, it was so because of the conversation we had with both, Dr. Wagner and Dr. King. The most important part of the conversation for me was when they spoke about the pros and cons of getting/not getting a PhD and how relevant that was to our field. All in all, a rich conversation, full of advise for the worried Masters student!

And finally, the grand finale to my day - The Philadelphia Orchestra that plays at the Kimmel Centre. One, a bunch of us got to get out of the University City bubble and be a part of the city again! Such a welcome change! And two, we got to see/hear some good music - FOR FREE!!! Yes, we got to see The Philadelphia Orchestra for free. It was 'Student Free Night' and a bunch of us had booked our tickets way in advance (and rightly so!) so that we could bring in a little culture to our lives. It was a refreshing change from dreary routine!
So all in all, another busy yet exciting day - something that I'm getting used to at GSE!

P.S. - Did I mention there was FREE FOOD at the Philly Orchestra?? :P





1 comment:

  1. Hi Akashi! I am curious to know what the advice was on PhD or no PhD... do share!

    ReplyDelete