Sunday, October 28, 2012

Center City or University City

Lately, every trip I take to Center City has been triggering the 'should I live here' debate in my head. University City has its charm but after a while, you get tired of living in the peaceful, campus-y atmosphere. Having had lived out of campus, in the busy environs of a city for a while now, living on campus or in University City has its charm for a while. Soon, however, there is the possibility that you might start missing the exact things that angered you about the busy city.

Technically, I live off-campus. Close to school, but off it anyway. Its not University City, its technically West Philadelphia. Thats another thing I don't get - this whole university city - west Philadelphia divide. When is it University City and when does it become West Philadelphia? And why call it University City in the first place? It is technically West Philadelphia. Irrespective of what you call it, it continues to be the same place.

Everytime I go to Center City - either for a night out with friends or for some event - I realise how much I miss being in the 'real' world. The world with tall buildings, adults with jobs, restaurants at every corner and just the feeling of not being in school. Don't get me wrong - being in school is great, but after a while you start yearning for people and conversations beyond what school can provide. Living in Center City could be a way of keeping in touch with the world outside school.

No comments:

Post a Comment