Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Catching Up!



So catching up has been hard. So hard that I ended up dropping two of my five courses. Definitely not in the plan! Basically what this means for me is that I'll graduate in December and not May. Sad and kind of relieving all at once. Sad because it means I have to stay away from my husband for longer and relieving because I don't have to rush this degree. I should, hopefully, have more time to look for a job and plan my life in general. Having had taken five courses last semester, I know for certain that it wouldn’t have worked out for me this time round.

Taking five courses is not for the faint hearted. Especially when you add GA duties and a job to the mix. Last semester, I felt like I was just running from job to job and class to class, without getting a moment to actually consider how this would add up and contribute to my future. Well, with three courses, I have plenty of time to do just that this semester. That’s the plan anyway. Planning, thinking and spending more time at work at AUNI. AUNI or Agaston Urban Nutrition Initiative is where I work as a Wharton Social Impact Intern. As a part of this initiative, I work with high school children from the Philadelphia area, helping them run a socially relevant business called Rebel Ventures. So basically, we make granola bars at Rebel Ventures, selling them for two dollars to retailers and for 50 cents at Philadelphia schools. The purpose of this venture is to make school children more aware of terms like ‘food justice’ and also to equip them with the skills required to run and manage a business. More about this later though.

So like I was saying, I’m hoping that this semester will allow me to devote more time to planning my future and getting some hands on experience working with children (and a start up). So far, it looks like things are on track! Fingers crossed that they’ll continue to be so!

No comments:

Post a Comment